In recent times, the term “fundamentalist” has become commonly used by the news media to refer to any religious group whom they consider to hold radical views. We may recall frequent references to the mid-east Islamic fundamentalists who have been viewed as fanatics, and often responsible for acts of terrorism.
Similarly, liberal society uses the term fundamentalist to identify any Christian whom they consider to be an extremist. Generally, they classify a Christian as a radical fundamentalist if they merely believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, if they hold views against sexual permissiveness, homosexuality, abortion on demand, or any views which are politically incorrect. (See God’s view on these – Romans 1:18-32)
From the Christian perspective, fundamentalist has traditionally referred to any follower of Christ who believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and who believes in its literal interpretation and fundamental teachings.
For the sake of clarity, I would like to express what it means to us to be Christians and scripturally why we believe what we believe. As an evangelical, fundamental Christian and members of an Independent, Fundamental Church, my husband and I fully subscribe to these tenants fundamental to our faith in Jesus Christ founded upon the Word of God. They are as follows ( from our Church’s “Articles of Faith”):
1) Verbal Inspiration – We believe the Holy Scriptures, to be the Word of God in the Old Testament and the New Testament, to be the verbally, inspired Word and Revelation of God, inerrant, infallible, and God breathed. (Psalm 19:7-11; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:16-21; Luke 24:13-28; John 16:12-16; Jonah 1:1.)
2) Deity and Virgin Birth – We believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, that He is the incarnate Son of God, the second person in the blessed Trinity, Very God of God, for Whom and by Whom all things were created. (John 1:1-14; Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25; John 10:36.) Man is not an evolved beast, but a fallen creation. (Genesis 1:26-27; 2:7.) He can only be recreated in righteousness in Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:3-4; John 1:12-13.)
3) The Holy Spirit – We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine person who in relationship to the unbelieving world, convicts of sin, and unrighteousness, and judgment; that by His agency all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ as born again and become partakes of the divine nature; that He seals, endues, guides, teaches, sanctifies, and helps the believer. (John 14:16-26; 16:7-11; Romans 8:26-27.)
4) The Local Church – We believe that the visible church of Christ is a congregation of baptized believers who have received Jesus Christ as personal Savior. Two ordinances are to be observed by the church: Baptism by immersion and the observance of the Lord’s Supper. The only scriptural officers are the bishop (or Pastor) and deacons. (1 Corinthians 11:21-23; 1 Timothy 3; Titus 1.)
5) The Trinity – We believe in the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit – three persons (1 John 5:1-8.) The Holy Spirit is the infallible interpreter of the infallible Scriptures (John 16:7-15.)
6) Blood Atonement – We believe in the substitutionary atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ; that He, by the grace of God, tasted death for every man, and that all must be born again or are forever lost. (Hebrews 2:9; John 6:44-69; 3:1-18; Romans 3:25; Revelations 1:5; Hebrews 9:22; 1 Peter 1:18-19.)
7) Resurrection – We believe in the bodily resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that He ascended bodily into the heavens, and is at the right hand of God as our Mediator, Priest, and Advocate. (Acts 3:12-16; John 20; Hebrews 9:24; 1 Corinthians 15:12-28.)
8) Justification by Faith – We believe that man is justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1.)
9) Eternal Security – We believe in the eternal security of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ. (John 10:27-29)
10) Kingship, Second Coming, and Judgment – We believe in the kingship of Jesus Christ. (Revelations 11:15; 19:11-21; 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10)
A. In this blessed hope, the personal, premillennial and imminent return of our
Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for those who are fallen asleep in Christ, and for
His living saints. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 15:5-55; Acts 1:11; Titus
B. That He must come with His saints to execute judgment upon the ungodly
nations. (Jude 14:15; Matthew 25:31-46)
C. That He will cast the antichrist and the false prophet into the Lake of Fire, and
send Satan into the abyss and establish His earthly kingdom and reign 1,000
years. (Revelations 19:19-20, 20:1-6)
After many years of thinking we were Christians but were not, my husband and I became born again (John 3:3-21) Christians in 1985. After almost 30 years of hearing Biblical teaching, we have concluded that Bible is the only absolute truth, and we fully endorse and subscribe to the above tenants of our faith. It is our prayer that if you do not know Christ as your Savior, this might be the day that you sincerely consider placing your trust in Him. We guarantee, that you will never be disappointed!
In His name and for His sake,