1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c.unsifted all-purpose flour (for Gluten Free use 1/2 c. rice flour, 3 tbs.
potato starch, 1 tbs. tapioca starch)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbs. light brown sugar
2 tbs. oil
1 c. buttermilk
1. Heat oven at 425 degrees. Place cast iron corn-stick mold or fry pan in oven to heat.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
3) Add oil, egg, and buttermilk. Stir together just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4) Carefully remove molds/fry pan from oven. Grease generously with oil.
5) Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling them 2/3 full. Bake 12-15 minutes or until center springs back when pressed with fingertip. Turn out on rack and serve.
To make pepper cornbread:
Stir in 1/4 c. finely chopped green pepper and 1/4 c. finely chopped red pepper into the cornmeal before adding wet ingredients.
Makes 14 corn sticks or 8-10 wedges or muffins.
Have a Yummy day,